Lab-in-charge: Dr. Sudip Banerjee
The objective of this lab is to get a hands-on knowledge of several workshops like
carpentry shop, fitting shop, sheet metal shop, machining shop, welding shop, etc. and
learn safety regulations to be maintained in a shop floor. This laboratory is scheduled for
1st and 2nd semester for all engineering students. Apart from curriculum, some additional
experimental setups are there which helps the students to enhance their knowledge.
Students also get opportunity to implement their ideas through various application
oriented micro projects.
Upon completion of this laboratory course, students will be able to
- Fabricate components with their own hands.
- Get practical knowledge of the dimensional accuracies and tolerances applicable
for different manufacturing processes.
- Produce small devices of their interest for project or research purpose.
Safety rules & unsafe practices:
Remember that “accidents do not occur; they are caused”. With this in mind, strictly follow
the general safety rules given below and safe practices indicated in brief under each
- Safety first, work next
- Know your job and follow the instructions strictly
- Avoid wearing loose clothing that might catch, moving or rotating parts. (Long
sleeves of shirts, long hair, neck tie and jewellery are definite hazards in the shop).
- Wear safety shoes.
- Keep the area around machine or work clean.
- Keep away from revolving work. Be sure that all guards are in place
- Only one person should operate the machine controls.
- Use tools correctly and do not use them if they are not in proper working
- Wear safety goggles when working in areas, where sparks or chips of metal are
- Know the first aid arrangements for your workplace and have first aid treatment
for every injury however trivial.
List of Experiments:
Workshop Practice (1st Year 1st Semester Course for All Department)
Course Co-ordinator: Dr. Sudip Banerjee
- To make a single piece pattern
- To make a Square fit from the given mild steel piece and make an internal thread
of specific diameter
- To Make a rectangular Tray as per required dimensions
- To make a pin from MS round bar
- To study and observe the welding techniques through demonstration and
Sheet Metal Shop
Mechanical Workshop (1st Year 1st Semester Course for ME Department)
Course Co-ordinator: Dr. Uttam Kumar Mohanty
- To perform Step turning, facing, taper turning, grooving, knurling and threading
operations on center lathe.
- To perform drilling, reaming and tapping operations on the given MS plate.
- To practice slot milling on milling machine
- To perform fine surface grinding operation on a given workpiece.
Machining Science Laboratory (3rd Year 5th Semester Course for ME Department)
Course Co-ordinator: Dr. Dipayan Das
- Perform facing, plain turning, step turning, taper turning, knurling, drilling,
grooving, parting off, thread cutting, chamfering, and other operations in Lathe.
- Milling operations-slot cutting, gear cutting.
- Shaping operations- v-slot cutting
- Grinding operations - surfacing.
- Demonstration of operations in CNC Lathe and Milling machine.
Metal Cutting Laboratory (3rd Year 6th Semester Course for ME Department)
Course Co-ordinator: Dr. Dipayan Das
- Study of various types of cutting tools and measurement of tool geometry
- To Understand the Effect of Chosen Parameters on the type of chip produced
- Determination of chip-thickness ratio and shear plane Angle During Machining
- To study the Temperature Measurement on chip tool interface
- To study and understand the effect of a suitable cutting lubricant
- Design a Jig and Fixture for given component
- Study of Unconventional Manufacturing Process and simple exercise on metal